Tuesday, October 29, 2013

What normal women look like.

Yesterday I had a bit of a rough day.  It's midterms week in my neck of the woods and I'm struggling.  Not enough sleep combined with stress eating too much Halloween candy had me feeling less than my best.  But I had to go to school and I had to mail a package and I had to buy cat food, so I threw on an old pair of jean shorts, a baggy tee, blew off make up and walked out the door.  And then I spent the day feeling pretty shitty about myself.  I was convinced I looked awful and that everyone else thought so too, and I let it ruin my day.  Until I got home that is, accidentally caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and realized I had spent the whole day with a negative attitude for nothing.  I looked fine!  Granted, it's not the best I've ever left the house but it certainly wasn't the worst (read: the swine flu epidemic of 2009).

So today, I've brought you proof of what I experienced first hand yesterday, and what I'm sure you've all experienced countless times... that even when you don't look your best, you still look fine!  And how have I brought proof of that, you ask?  Celebrities without makeup! 

I love pictures of celebrities without makeup.  Why?  Not because I like judging other women, no.  I love them because they prove once and for all that celebrities are real people too!  Some days they look fabulous and sometimes they look like they could use a latte and a couple hours of sleep.  That is, they're just like us!

So, for your viewing pleasure, I present..

Jennifer Lawrence, one of the most beautiful and genuine actresses in Hollywood:


Tyra Banks, a Victoria's Secret model and the heir to the America's Next Top Model throne:


Hilary Duff, the girl I wanted to be for at least half of my childhood (who could resist the promise of becoming an Italian pop princess?):


Mila Kunis, who was Esquire's 2013 "Sexiest Woman Alive":
 
 
Kelly Clarkson, the first American Idol:


And lastly, Sofia Vergarra, a Columbian actress/model and a real stunner:


Alright ladies, what was your first reaction?  That these ladies are ugly and horrible and that they never should have left the house looking like that?  No, it's that they just look normal!  And you know what?  That's what people think of you when you're not looking your best either.  (This is even more true because nobody holds you to as high a standard as we hold celebrities!).

We all have those days where we know it's just not going to happen.  You're bloated, your skin broke out, you pulled an all-nighter to finish that paper... whatever the reason, you're just not feeling your best.  And typically we spend the whole day feeling crappy because we think we look crappy and we think everyone else notices we look crappy. 

But you know what?  They don't, because to them, you look normal, just like every one of these beautiful women here.  Sure, a pair of spanx and some contouring would probably make you look more runway-ready, but on the day to day, nobody is noticing the condition of your yoga pants or your skin.  So stop spending so much time worrying about it and just get through the day!  We all have enough on our plate to worry about (school, jobs, boyfriends, the list goes on...) without adding the pressure to look amazing every day to that load!  So the next time you wake up and know it's just not your day, put on your comfiest clothes, grab your favorite Starbucks drink and let yourself off the hook.  You are beautiful, just like you were yesterday and just like you will be tomorrow, and the only thing that can change that is your attitude.  That's the whole point of this blog, isn't it?  Change your attitude, change your life.

Oh, and treat yourself to a little Halloween candy this week!  Trust me on this one, a few pieces of chocolate are not going to change a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment